Everyone’s college experience is different but there are a few things that almost every college freshman or transfer student will need at some point or another.
1. Quarters – some of these students will be doing laundry for the first time in their life. And, SURPRISE, it will most likely require quarters. Wait, coin laundry, really? Yes, most campuses don’t get enough funding for fancy laundry machines. So tell them to suck it up and save those quarters.
2. Basic Medical Supplies – because you never know what is going to happen. These include bandaids, Tylenol, TUMS, hydrogen peroxide, etc. Put together a little kit for them, it will come in handy for them or one of their unprepared roommates!
3. Razors – this is especially important for the ladies. Razors can get expensive and they on-campus supermarket might not always offer the most quality options. Find one or two of those Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons and send your student off with an endless supply!
4. Instant Coffee – for those mornings when they are running late and don’t have time to wait in the hour-long Starbucks line. Or the late nights when Starbucks is no longer open.
5. Vitamin C – it’s super easy to get sick on a college campus, so doing little things to prevent getting sick while at school is key.
6. Sleep mask / ear plugs – there is nothing that will mess with your sanity more than having a roommate whose on a complete opposite schedule. Your college-goer will thank you for helping them get a good night’s rest.
7. Microwave popcorn – if there is one thing that all dorm rooms are good for, it’s a microwave.
8. Laptop lock – you spend a bunch of money on a brand new laptop, and it get’s stolen. Don’t let this happen!
9. Shower sandals – because even if you don’t mind those communal showers, you’ll at least want to do it for your health.