I love the idea of getting all dressed up and dining out for Valentine’s Day. But there’s also something incredibly romantic about just waking up together, staying in PJs for a couple extra hours, and treating your sweetheart to breakfast in bed. And when it comes to Valentine’s Day breakfast, decadent is always best. So this time, instead of sharing my favorite egg white omelet or skinny smoothie recipe, I enlisted my friends to whip up the most indulgent and delicious Valentine’s Day menu they could think of. Check out the recipes below, and enjoy!
Hot Chocolate with Lavender Marshmallows
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2/3 cup chocolate chip chunks
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp of powdered sugar
Mix together all of your ingredients on low heat until everything is melted. Serve with Lavender Marshmallows.
Lavender Vanilla Bean Marshmallow
Adapted from Gourmet
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 tsp fresh lavender
- 2 vanilla beans (scrape the beans out of the pod)
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of agave
- 2 egg whites
- 3 ½ packets of gelatin
- Combine water, lavender, and 1 vanilla bean in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove fresh lavender and vanilla bean.
- Combine sugar, agave, and ½ cup of the infused water from Step 1 in a pot. Bring to a boil to create simple syrup. Set aside.
- Stir together ½ cup lavender infused water and gelatin packets. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites with your second vanilla bean until soft peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in your lavender infused gelatin, simple syrup, and soft peaks. Dust a 9 ½ x 13 baking pan with powdered sugar, then pour your marshmallow mixture into the pan and allow to set in the fridge for three hours.
- Use a knife or a cookie cutter to cut into individual marshmallows.
Layered Granola, Berry, and Yogurt Trifle
- 2 cups granola
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt
Assemble in a glass in the following order: layer of yogurt, layer of granola, layer of blueberries. Repeat.
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup agave
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 3 cups unsweetened dried coconut
- 2 cups of sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp Savour This Kitchen Gypsy Spice Blend
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Combine agave, sugar, and canola oil in a small pot over low heat until the sugar has dissolved into the oil.
- Pour oil sugar mixture over oats in bowl. Stir together with Gypsy Spice Blend and salt.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread granola mix over parchment paper. Turn oats over every 10 minutes. Bake 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set on oven rack, and allow to cool.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls with Lemon Curd Mascarpone Frosting
- ¼ Cup of warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp dry active yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ½ cup of milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- Combine warm water and yeast in a bowl and set for 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and ½ cup milk in a bowl and then set aside.
- Mix together egg/milk mixture, yeast mixture, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl and then set aside.
- Add 1 cups milk and melted butter to the ingredients in the large bowl from step 3 in a stand mixer using bread hook to mix.
- Add 2 cups of flour to the ingredients in the stand mixer using bread hook to mix. Then remove from stand mixer, place in greased bowl. Cover and allow to rest and rise for the next 2 hours.
- Roll out sweet dough mixture to roughly 18’’ in length. Spread with Strawberry Rhubarb filling (recipe below) and roll like a giant cigar, nice and tight. Then cut into 1-inch pieces across and place in round cake pan and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Spread sweet rolls with Lemon Curd Mascarpone Frosting (recipe below).
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1 ½ cups of rhubarb, sliced thin
- 3 ½ cups fresh sliced strawberries, circle shaped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- Bring all ingredients to a boil (except for ½ cup strawberries) in a medium sized sauce pan, stirring constantly and crushing berries slightly with back of spoon. Boil until thickened, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add last ½ cup fresh strawberries. Stir filling for 3 more minutes, then remove from heat.
Lemon Curd Mascarpone Frosting
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1–2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Lemon Curd Instructions:
- In a small saucepan, stir lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and egg yolks constantly until thickened. Then incorporate butter.
- Strain lemon curd through fine mesh strainer. Then cover and place in refrigerator.
In a small bowl, combine mascarpone, ½ cup of lemon curd, and 1-2 Tbsp of powdered sugar. Set aside until you are prepared to frost sweet rolls.
There you have it!
Are you planning a breakfast in bed this Valentine’s Day?