When it comes to game day food in December, what’s better than homemade chicken soup with thick noodles? It keeps you warm while you’re braving those cold temps to root for your team. This recipe is super easy and a total crowd pleaser.
For the noodles:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
For the soup:
- 9 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 cup carrots, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (or soup base)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄ 2teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, torn into large piecesPreparation:
- In a large stock pot, mix water, carrots, celery, onions, chicken bouillon, melted butter, pepper and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt together using the dough hook attachment in the bowl of a stand mixer on Low; add eggs and water, 1 tablespoon at time, until dough holds together.
- Split dough in half. Roll 1 dough half on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into noodles 2 to 3-inches long x 1/4-inch wide. Repeat with other dough half.
- Cook soup until noodles are cooked through, 15 to 25 minutes.